We have questioned whether yet another march is such a great idea (go here). However, local organizers are pushing ahead with their own March for Science on Saturday, April 22. As you can see below, the event has a thoughtful itinerary of speakers.
The march will begin on the steps of the state capitol at 11 a.m. Folks will then head down to Heritage Park for a rally. The event is billed as “peaceful, family friendly and nonpartisan.”
“The March for Science is about supporting the public’s understanding of the scientific consensus and safeguarding the scientific community.” says march organizer Marco Rossaire Rossi. “The march will bring together members of our diverse communities who openly support the relationship between science and democracy.”
The following speakers will address science, education and policy topics:
- Steffany Brown — WYCA Girls Without Limits STEM Program
- Audrey Miller – Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest Votes
- Ted Hanson — Equal Rights Washington
- Eric Salute — UW Climate Professor
- Ben Silky — Audubon Society
- Jeff Dickison — Squaxin Tribe
- Dragon Frierson — UW Climate Professor
- Rob Duff — Environment and Public Health
- EJ Zita — Port of Olympia Commissioner
- Paul Benz — Faith Action Network
- Danny Heck — House of Representatives
For more information, go to the Facebook page of local organizers.